After last weeks delicious but sugar happy jam recipe I felt like a sweet snack that didn’t contain a heap of added sugar, I came across this recipe for Amazeballs that Wendyl created to highlight using Fairtrade and Tradeaid ingredients whilst keeping added sugar out of the picture.
This recipe uses just the sweetness from the dates and a tiny bit of 70% cocoa dark chocolate. The nutrition of the dates, almonds and coconut milk makes this a great alternative to muesli bars that are often high in refined sugar, pop a couple of these into the kids lunchboxes for a healthy sweet treat or grab one when your energy takes a dive in the afternoon and get a pick-me-up without the heavy added sugar load.
For more information on Fairtrade products and how using them has a positive impact on farmers and workers around the world follow this link *photo from theplantsgtrongvegan.com
- 200g Tradeaid Medjoul dates (pits removed)
- 100g Tradeaid Palestinian almonds
- 2/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup Tradeaid coconut milk
- 1 tsp Tradeaid ground cinnamon
- 20g Fairtrade Green&Black’s 70% cocoa dark chocolate (finely grated)
- Extra desiccated coconut
- Put the dates (don’t forget to remove pits) and almonds into a food processor and grind until they are in small pieces, but not pulped. Add the desiccated coconut, cinnamon and the coconut milk and pulse until the mix becomes sticky and pliable.
- Roll the mix into small balls and coat in either the grated chocolate, or some more desiccated coconut – or both!