- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 large tomatoes, chopped
- ½ lemon, zest only
- ½ teaspoon crushed dried chilli flakes, or we use two fresh chillies from the garden
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- To make the sauce, heat oil in a medium saucepan. Stir in garlic and chopped tomatoes until warmed through. Add lemon zest, chilli, vinegar and sugar. Simmer for 10 minutes and pour into the sterilised jars right to the top while hot. Shake them slightly and push a skewer down to release any air bubbles that have formed.
- When you have sealed the jars with preserving rings and lids and the sauce has cooled the lids should be concave, proving that they have been well sealed. If not, you’ll need to try again.
- Pour 125ml of this sauce over a packet of pasta (500g) for a wonderful meal.
© Wendyl's Green Godess