This is from my book Mother’s Little Helper and is a great way to get some whole grains into your diet.
Easy Barley Risotto
- 1Tbls Coconut oil
- 1 Finely chopped onion
- 2 Finely chopped garlic cloves
- 1 Cup pearl barley per person
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 Ltr vegetable stock
- 1 Small pumpkin or three kumara
- Sunflower seeds or pine nuts
- Put the oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions and garlic until they are clear. Do not burn or brown them. Wash the barley and add to the pot with the bay leaf and the stock. Cover and bring to the boil, then reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for approx 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the barley is swollen and the stock is absorbed. While the barley is cooking, peel the pumpkin or kumara and chop into cubes. Boil until cooked and then mash. Remove the bay leaf and stir the mashed vegetable into the barley. I sometimes add some cooked mushrooms or thinly shredded silverbeet or spinach with the pumpkin or kumara for extra nutrition. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds or pine nuts to serve.
© Wendyl's Green Godess