The lovely Daisy from Honeywrap is our guest blogger this week and has shared her top 6 essentials to live plastic-free.
“Hi guys, I’m Daisy, Sustainability Champion at Honeywrap.I recently went on a trip to Indonesia and Thailand and I was absolutely gobsmacked at the amount of plastic on the beach and in the ocean. Plastic doesn’t ever biodegrade, it only breaks down into minuscule pieces and will be around for many, many years! When I arrived home I decided that I needed to make a change and cut single-use plastic out of my life altogether.
When attempting a plastic-free life it is really hard to know where to start, plastic is everywhere you look and is so intertwined in our lives! I have put together a list of my top 6 essentials that help me stay away from single-use plastic.
1. Reusable drink bottles: Buy a good quality reusable drink bottle-and I say good quality because cheap plastic reusable bottles often break or get a bit icky and often end up getting binned after a few uses. I recommend glass or aluminium bottles.
2. Reusable bags: This is a biggie! Bring a reusable bag everywhere you go, I stay organised by keeping bags with me at all times. Sakittome bags are great because they fold up into a small pouch so I can keep them in my bag, car or in my bike basket and I never get caught without one!
3. Reusable straws: Apart from being super cool, glass, metal and bamboo straws save an outrageous amount of plastic from entering the ocean. The trick is to again, always be prepared and carry your reusable straw with you. Also, when you are out at restaurants or bars make sure you ask when you order for no straws! I fell into this trap the other night when I ordered a drink at a bar and didn’t think about the fact it would come with a straw (I even had a metal one with me!!) get into the habit of letting people know that you don’t need a straw. By doing this you are also helping to educate others by refusing the plastic, it just makes people think.
4. Keep cups: You can get some awesome looking keep cups, why would you want a yucky plastic lidded styrofoam cup when you can have a super slick glass and cork keep cup? Refusing single-use plastic can be ‘cool’ too! Also, cafes will often give you a discount for using your own cup.
5. Honeywraps: Without a doubt my go-to for wrapping snacks on the go. Great for any leftovers in the fridge too- my fridge looks magical with all the different coloured Honeywraps.
6. Produce bags: These are netted bags to put your fruit and veggies in to avoid the pointless plastic produce bags at supermarkets. Keep them inside your reusable shopping bags and you are less likely to forget them!
You don’t have to give up the things you love by not using plastic. I have a bag with all my reusables and keep it with me everywhere I go. As painful as that may sound it is the best way to make sure you never run in to accidental plastic use. If you look at the picture above, it really is not a lot to carry, all items fold down easily and will fit in your hand bag/day bag.”