This recipe uses just the sweetness from the dates and a tiny bit of 70% cocoa dark chocolate. The nutrition of the dates, almonds and coconut milk makes this a great afternoon pick-me-up for kids and adults without a heavy added sugar load. I invented this recipe to highlight using Fairtrade and Tradeaid goods.
- 200g Tradeaid Medjoul dates (pits removed)
- 100g Tradeaid Palestinian almonds
- 2/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup Tradeaid coconut milk
- 1 tsp Tradeaid ground cinnamon
- 20g Fairtrade Green&Black’s 70% cocoa dark chocolate (finely grated)
- Extra desiccated coconut
- Put the dates (don’t forget to remove pits) and almonds into a food processor and grind until they are in small pieces, but not pulped. Add the desiccated coconut, cinnamon and the coconut milk and pulse until the mix becomes sticky and pliable.
- Roll the mix into small balls and coat in either the grated chocolate, or some more desiccated coconut – or both!