The humble cauliflower is now in season, this is one of my favourite winter veges due to it’s versatility and health benefits, it’s packed full of Vitamin C, contains Sulforaphane which has been shown to slow cancer cell growth and it’s an excellent source of Choline, mainly found in organ meats and eggs, Choline is essential for good brain health and getting it from a plant based source, recent research has shown, is far better for you.
There’s so many ways to incorporate cauliflower into your diet, you can substitute it for rice in many dishes making the meal a lower in carbs, it’s delicious raw in tabbouleh instead of using Bulgar wheat and it’s a great substitute for meat when cooked the right way. This recipe uses cauliflower instead of chicken and is a hit when served with smokey paprika mayonnaise.
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1/3 cup unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tsp smokey paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp moroccan spice
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice bran oil or melted coconut oil (tastes better)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220C. Put all the ingredients except the cauliflower and oil into a large bowl and stir well until combined.
- Chop the cauliflower up into bite sized pieces, put them all into the mixture and coat well with the batter.
- Place onto a baking tray (you can line the tray if you choose) make sure they’re spread out evenly.
- Bake for around 10-15 minutes, take out and turn them all over, put back in for another 10-15 minutes, the timing really does depend on the size of your pieces.
- I crisped my bites up a bit more under the grill for around 3 minutes before serving with Smokey Paprika Mayo, if you’d like to make a Vegan Mayo go here